Lights. Camera. Action!
Dream of directing your own film?
Writing for your favourite newspaper?
Designing and marketing a magazine?
Working in the exciting world of advertising?
Media Studies is for you.
What is media?
Media is all around you – radio, magazine, television programmes, websites, books, film, newspaper, advertising, packaging, the list goes on. It is a huge part of our lives and culture. Since the invention of the printing press media has influenced society and society has influenced media. You have probably consumed several hours of media before arriving on this website.
Am I eligible to take Media Studies?
“NCEA Media studies is a challenging, thought-provoking and entertaining, but above all, it’s fun” – St Catherine’s College student
Media Studies is an NCEA level 2 & 3 subject only. To be eligible for course entry at least 12 credits of NCEA level one English is required. It is also recommended you have creative mind, strong work ethic and a passion for film!
Year 12 Media Studies course:
- Target Audience – case study of a media product
- Learn the nuts and bolts of magazine production, then create your very own design
- Representation and stereotypes made by the media
- Learn about film conventions and genre
- Possible trips include: New Zealand International Film Festival
Year 13 Media Studies:
- Issues in the Media – Internationally & Nationally
- Film Production
- Study the film genre Hollywood Film Noir
- Analyse your favourite Hollywood director
- Possible trips include: Censor for a day, Inspiring Films Workshop, Beyond the Camera
- Media in society
- Reading media texts
- Media production.
Want to know more?
Please contact Ms Haley Gould (TIC Media Studies) – firstname.lastname@example.org